Level 4 Autonomous Vehicles
The IONIQ 5 Robotaxi
An all-electric, SAE Level 4 AV
The IONIQ 5 robotaxi is an all-electric, SAE Level 4 autonomous vehicle (AV) that can safely operate without a driver. The robotaxi is powered by Motional's AI-first autonomy stack, the product of decades of innovation and millions of miles of testing.
Over 30 sensors - a combination of cameras, radar, and LiDAR - provide robust, 360-degree perception and ultra-long range detection of objects for safe operation.
The onboard compute system processes high volumes of data from the robotaxi’s sensors to provide the vehicle with a view and understanding of the world around it.
Data & Machine Learning Technologies
Our approach centers around Motional's Continuous Learning Framework, a cloud-based infrastructure which uses machine learning principles to make our fleet of AVs more experienced and safer with every mile they drive. Motional's AI-first autonomy stack requires large amounts of high-quality, annotated data for training. Motional uses the Continuous Learning Framework to mine for, train, and analyze its system against rare scenarios or edge cases.
With Motional’s suite of products, our partners can easily plug-and-play entire fleets of robotaxis onto their network. This includes:
- Dispatching and monitoring the fleet
- Custom user interfaces for a tailored experience
- Cloud-based software updates
- Fleet storage and calibration support
Motional product design teams and researchers set out to create a seamless end-to-end user experience. The features include:
- Interior screens to communicate with the rider, including tactile buttons for vision-impaired riders
- In-cabin sensors that ensure a safe rider experience
- Exterior features to help riders find and communicate with the robotaxi
- Remote customer assistance available anytime